Travelling has become a common activity and pastime these days. People enjoy long trips where there are camping involved as well as hiking tours. Be it any sort of traveling; people will need to carry a lot of belongings and other essentials. For this purpose, backpacks serve to be of great use.
Amongst those traveling bags, Redwing backpacks are quite famous and useful as well. They are designed for any travel, from international travel to a day on the trail. It is a multi-purpose bag that allows for ample organization and safe storage.
Kelty has been known for making high-quality travel bags and other accessories, and therefore, this Kelty Redwing 44 backpack is surely worth giving a review.
The main features Kelty Redwing 44 Backpack are as follows:
- The backpack is made from an imported high-quality material that includes fabric and polyester.
- It is a panel-type loading pack that has a U-shaped zipper on the top and the front as well. It can be used as a top-loaded provided that the side straps are locked and secured properly.
- The bag is also hydration compatible, which means that the user can place a bladder for the liquids to support the physical activity involved in traveling. The hydration sleeve is inside the main compartment.
- Compression straps are attached to both sides of the bag. This is to ensure that the bag is secured at all times and doesn’t get loose.
- An HDPE frame serves as its only suspension system. It is based on a single centrally positioned aluminum stay at the back.
- The shoulder straps and hip belt are well padded, so they don’t give any sort of pain to the user, making it easier to carry the bag around even when it is heavily loaded. The pads will even out the pressure, making it far less painful.
- Sternum straps and load lifters are also available to get better support from your bag.
- The hip belt can be removed, but for this, you will first have to remove the aluminum stay. A hip belt sometimes is not needed when the load is less, and the shoulder straps alone are enough to give a good fit.
- Ventilating back panel gives a secure fit and at the same time prevents sweat from forming at the back of the user.
- Pockets have been provided on all sides. There are two good-sized zipper pockets on both sides and one at the top as well. The side pockets can be used to put bottles and any other vertical accessory for immediate use. A large U-shaped zipper pocket is attached at the front as well. This is made for the organization of large goods.
- The bag’s capacity is to hold volume up to 44 liters, and the bag itself weighs only 3 lbs.
Watch the video below showcasing all the cool features the Kelty Redwing 44 Backpack has to offer:
The overall look of the Kelty Backpack is pretty attractive and does not give a boring feel of any sort. Black color goes with all attires and people’s preferences.
The bag is built from 420 D polyester fabric which is known for its durability and therefore will work for many years even with constant usage.
It is comfortable to carry because the shoulder straps and padding take the weight off of a specific body part and spreads evenly across the back and hips.
There is plenty of internal space, and a number, as well as a variety of things, can be stored.
There is a lot of organization in the bag because front and side pockets are provided to put extra belongings like cameras, phones, wires, etc.
The Air panel allows for airflow and doesn’t create a lot of sweat.
All decent travel bags have water bottle pockets, and this Redwing bag has two of them.
The hip belt has no pockets which can be quite irritating because hip belt pockets are at immediate access to the user.
There isn’t any rain cover provided to fight against unexpected weather situations.
Even though this is a minor issue but zipper locks will surely increase peace of mind, and thus should have been included.
Overall, about 67 percent of the users gave it a full 5-star review, with most of them saying that it was worth their money and was comfortable to carry around. As long as travelers do not get tired of carrying the backpack, then one should definitely consider buying the Kelty Redwing 44 Backpack.
Last update on 2023-03-18 at 19:56 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
8 thoughts on “Kelty Redwing 44 Backpack Review — Travel Ready”
Thanks for looking into the bladder size for me. I usually pack a 1.5L water bottle with me for hikes, so 3L is plenty.
My pleasure, if you have any other questions, please let me know.
Hey Sonia, a high quality backpack is a must have. I do a lot of country walking and my Osprey backpack has served me well for many years. I’ve never heard of Kelty but from your review it looks like a strong durable brand.
I would consider buying the Redwing 44 because its hydration compatible, my Osprey backpack doesn’t have one. How much liquid can be placed inside liquid bladder?
To answer your question about the size of the bladder you can put inside the Kelty Redwing Backpack, you can easily fit a 3L bladder without any problems. Drop me a line if you need further help.
I like the style of this Redwing backpack. It looks very comfortable to have strapped across your back when hiking. I initially made the mistake of carrying too much weight when starting out hiking, a load of gear you’ll never use only to end up with backache at the end of the day. This Redwing looks like an ideal size and plenty of useful extra pockets preventing you from emptying the bag every time you require a small item.
I generally travel quite light nowadays, only taking necessities to cut down the weight so the shoulder straps without the hip belt will be ideal.
My older backpack used to sweat like crazy on hot days, the new methods incorporated here with the ventilated back panel shows how designs are evolving.
The color suits me fine and very impressed with all these features you have described.
Do they do different sizes within the Redwing range?
Thanks for introducing me,
Yes there are different sizes of Kelty Redwing backpacks which are ranging from 32L to 50L capacity available at Amazon.
Love the looks and features of the Kelty Redwing backpack. Black is a good color for hiking, but are there any other colors? It seems a bit pricey or is that what good backpacks go for?
My only other concern is how heavy is it before you load it up? It does appear to be very well built. I like it!
Unfortunately, black is the only color available for now. As for the price, the Kelty Redwing Backpack is well-priced and is an ideal choice for either novice or seasoned hikers. And to answer your last question about the weight, the Redwing backpack weighs 3 lb 3 oz.
Hope I have answered all your questions, If not let me know.